Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Weekend in "God's Country"





When I was a girl, my parents bought 40 acres on the top of hill outside Sutter Creek, California. We would camp out there in a 13 ft. trailer with a covered deck my father added on in front. With two adults and us four girls, sleeping space included the bed of the Chevy pickup we rode up in.

We went nearly every weekend for years. There are many great stories associated with "the property" as we called it, which hopefully I'll eventually get around to writing about either here or in a book.

For years, whenever my folks told people we were going to the property, they would say, "We're going to God's country." Well, as a kid that doesn't mean a thing. But going back to visit the area 40 plus years later, it the vision is clear. My folks have since built a house on the property, sold it, and moved several times. But they still live in the general area and they were kind enough to give me a ride through the countryside on Saturday.

I found myself oohing and ahhing throughout the drive and made my Dad stop the car over and over for me to take pictures - 70 in all. So I'm going to post a new chapter of that tour everyday with just a few of the pictures.

There's a lot going on in the Gold Country (that's the official name for the area) and I'll try to start putting up little blurbs about events, etc. I'm starting to get local visitors to the blog - Yay. As many of you know, I plan to ultimately start a website for just that purpose - telling people what treasures there are to find in the areas BEYOND Sacramento. Get it?

The first photo is of the grounds of a winery we visited - Villa Toscano. Shot number two is of a creek that I took as we drove through it. Image number three is one side of Main Street, Volcano, California and last, but it is my favorite, a wonderful country barn between Volcano and Fiddletown.

Have a wonderful day!

No comments: