Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Give yourself a treat and visit The Nugget




Although The Nugget grocery store has a reputation for being appropriate for those with expensive tastes, when I visited the mercantile located in El Dorado Hills with the fanciful front pictured above, I found there were quite a few bargains and treats to be had. After all, $2.49 for 7-inch high cream puff has to be considered a bargain. This, of course, is one of the treats I bought myself.

The wine and cheese selections were incredible, again with many reasonable prices for various choices that go beyond what the normal grocery store offers.

In a section overflowing with natural facial solutions and odds and ends, I found a small basket I’ll use as a purse and Pacific soy candles that have incredible scents that actually seem to permeate a room. I bought just a couple of votives this time, to test out the brand, but I’ll be back to restock later, when I feel the need for another pastry treat and a moment of reprieve at the patio tables outside.

There was also a great supply of “take out”; Chinese, barbeque and the usual offering from a deli department, all arranged in an appetizing way.

I’m afraid I did not venture much into the more traditional grocery items, like dairy, produce, meat, etc. I was too caught up in the periphery and time was pressing. I knew I had just so much time, on July 4th, until the swimming pool that awaited me would cool and no longer appeal.

I bought my cream puff and a unique soda and sat on the patio, in the shade, enjoying them both. My eyes were far bigger than my stomach, for it was only a few bites into the gigantic pastry that I could not go on. Not for lack of flavor though. It was a lovely surprise to find that the filling was 100% heavy whipped cream – just like a cream puff is supposed to be.

So, if you get to visit a Nugget grocery store, there are a few around the Sacramento area, make it an experience and treat even if you do actually need milk and eggs.

No comments: