Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A beloved community park






I was a little lazy last weekend and hard pressed to go very far for an adventure, so I hopped on Hwy 80, took the Capital City Freeway loop, and was downtown from the Citrus Heights area in about 15 minutes. Of course, it was Sunday and the traffic was light. However, once I got there it took me another 20 minutes to locate my targeted destination, McKinley Park. That was simply a matter of getting turned around three times. It's actually easy to get there if you're just using your internal compass and natural intelligence (of which I was in short supply on Sunday apparently).

I never thought I could relax in a city park as I found myself doing that day. The weather was gorgeous. It was breezy and even a little too cool in the shade for a summer's day. But I wasn't complaining. I've just come from Phoenix!

Anyway, the park is lovely, unless you have an aversion or fear of ducks and geese, for they are obviously in charge of the pond and 50 feet in any directions. They're beautiful and people came with bags of feed for them. Squirrels are also in abundance and seem to be doing well in the food department as well. No skinny varmints in this neck of the woods.

A squadron of dragonflies, seeming to fly in formation, made a reconnaissance mission around one area of the park. What they were looking for - I have no idea. However, they were fun to watch and imagine them having radio conversations like the fighter pilots in old World War II movies. My imagination got away with me - a sure sign that the place was relaxing the old girl (me).

The place seemed way too deserted for its size. It's 275 acres are bound by Alhambra and McKinley Boulevard, and 33rd and H Streets, so we're not talking a tiny community park here. However, the area residents obviously use the park for walking, jogging, dog-walking and even horseshoes. One gentleman, who was very good, was out honing his skills, ringing the post almost every time.

There were tennis courts, a beautiful swimming pool (not open that day for some reason), lots of picnic tables, benches for resting and a truly grand playground. The playground was put in by a community group in 1984, and resembles a castle made out of wooden blocks. Two giant lions guard the gates.

Whether you just want some peace and quiet, or a place to take the kids for an outing, or a romantic spot to nuzzle a bit (I saw several couples walking hand-in-hand and sneaking a smooch when they could), this is the park for you. It's not that far from anywhere in the Sacramento area. On the plus side, there are several areas nearby to explore if you're an urban adventure seeker. You'll find interesting coffee houses or places for lunch that aren't on the national franchise list.

Live a little! Check out McKinley Park for yourself.

No comments: