Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Broadway Adventures

When the sun peeked out on Saturday, I couldn’t resist. I abandoned my computer and headed out for a drive. I really had no agenda, but I will admit to having an idea swirling around in my brain.

I listen to National Public Radio and a few days before they had a feature piece on an Ethiopian restaurant on Broadway – Queen Sheba. I’ve always wanted to try Ethiopian fare, but never had the opportunity at the right time. So, I headed for Broadway and 16th Street, knowing the restaurant was nearby.

I found Queen Sheba, one block down, at 1704 Broadway, easily located from its brightly painted exterior. It looked welcoming. As I was turning around to head back I spotted another ornate exterior - R5 Records - right on the SE corner of 16th and Broadway. I quickly pulled into the parking lot and took this picture.


MURAL by Shaun Turner

The easily identifiable musical greats like Jimi Hendrix and Nina Simone were wonderful. Finding it on a driveby - incredible. The other side of the building features a portrait of Billie Holliday. Worth stopping to look at and while you're there, check out the store. R5 has a great selection. I found myself stuck in the Jazz section where I found John Coltrane and Thelonius Monk CDs for great prices.

After wandering the aisles for a few minutes I headed back out to the parking lot and realized that one of my favorite destinations, a bookstore, was just across the asphalt. I stepped into The Avid Reader and found it to be a quiet, roomy place, in spite of being a fraction of the size of a Barnes and Noble. There weren't any trendy types there at the time, including myself, and I found that relaxing. There was a good selection for the real estate they occupied and they were right on the money with a display for Black History Month. It covered an interesting number of angles.

Back to my dining experience though. I expected the food to be a bit more exotic, but it really wasn't that different from what I would fix myself - if I had the time and/or inclination. I ordered the Chicken Tibbs, which were cubes of chicken breast cooked with mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli and bell peppers in wonderfully tasty spices, including turmeric, which gave it a lovely bright yellow color. Along with the dish, I ordered the Ethiopian hot spiced tea. I believe I enjoyed this as much or perhaps even more than the food. It was really fragrant and lovely.



SARA in Queen Sheba

I spoke a bit with Sara - pronounced SAR-uh - who was pleased at the recognition the restaurant had received from NPR. She and my server, a pleasant young man whose name I forgot to get (unusual for me), were both solicitous a pleased that I enjoyed myself.

For more information, visit the restaurant's website - www.queenshebas.com. I highly recommend the experience.

Remember an adventure is always just around the corner.

No comments: