Saturday, October 18, 2008

For Those With The Speed Gene


Last week, the company I work for had a team building event at an indoor go-cart racing track called Race Place Motorsports (RPM) just off Hwy 50 on Bradshaw Rd. I discovered on the track, I no longer have the "speed gene." I used to own it and had a lead foot, but as the cars raced past me I found I was too cautious and desperately desiring a rear-view mirror. I was firmly convinced my inner child still resided in me, but now I know, it's only the tyke, not the teenager. Oh, well, suiting up and the anticipation was a blast.

So, here I am in all my glory, waiting for the green flag. We made fifteen laps...I think. It could have been 10, because I definitely lost track. Some people were slower than me (I got stuck behind one of them) but most were way faster and a lot more gutsy. I was concerned about flipping over and didn't want to hit anyone. That particular worry wasn't part of the package for several of our group. I flinched as they whizzed by, casually clipping my tires.

Afterwards, we took to the upstairs lounge, reserved exclusively for our company, with about 35 participants. We chatted, gave out goofy awards and partook of a pasta buffet and all-you-could-drink-softdrinks. We were treated incredibly well and photographed from every angle by their on-staff photographer.

A good time was had by all and I would recommend RPM as a group event, especially for a group closer to the teenage years - say in the 20 to 40 year-old range. A couple of us older chicks would have opted for a rousing bowling tournament instead. Again, it was a matter of no longer owning the speed gene.

RPM is located at 3130 Bradshaw Road and you can reach their offices at(916) 368-7223.

RPM Website

No comments: