Monday, September 22, 2008

Lake Tahoe Is A Project




My daughter came to visit this past weekend so I took her to Lake Tahoe - for the day. Wow, the day is not nearly enough.

We took the winding Hwy. 50 route, which is stunning in itself, with the twists and turns through pines, tiny outposts of towns and cliff-side views of the lake once you get there.

Once we arrived we headed straight for Pope Beach. Tall pines stand like sentinels along the large-grained sandy beach. Ducks and geese clamored for the attention of the very few people populating the stretch of shoreline.

It was rather cool, but I ventured into the water, while Vanessa, my daughter who lives in Arizona, bundled up and read. We spent about two and half hours just relaxing by the immense basin of water that has three bands of color; a brownish-green near the shore, deep turquoise a ways out and in the middle a deep navy blue. The striations were fascinating to me, as they increased with the amount of sunshine that made it out from behind the clouds.

Van read the stats of the lake to me; 1642 feet deep, 12 miles wide by 22 miles long. It is enormous and very, very beautiful.

Once we left the water, we drove around to the Nevada side, and gambled for two hours on $20 each. Of course, I'm a gambling wimp and won't lose more than $20 (I also play the penny machines!).

Then our time for the day was up! We didn't get to explore other beaches or Emerald Bay, or the historical sites. I'm planning a much longer trip next summer. A whole weekend might be enough.

We'll see.

No comments: