Monday, August 18, 2008

Imagine My Surprise...






…when I found a thriving karaoke scene at Marie Calendar’s! Seriously, would you have ever thought of Marie’s as a place for karaoke? Yet, when my neighbor April told me about it I couldn’t wait to see what it was like and I wasn’t disappointed in any way. The Marie Calendar’s we’re talking about is on Sunrise, just north of Madison.

Like any karaoke gathering, there were those who sang for the pure joy or fun of it, but couldn’t carry a tune (which is the group I belong to). However, the great majority of the singers were quite good, and some were great.

Because the bar serves food, kids could come and listen or sing until 9 p.m., which was a treat. Watching them listen to their folks sing or in the case of one really talented young girl, probably 13 at the most, rock the house with old songs from the 60s and 70s, was really a blast.

The picture of Kid Rock’s brother – just kidding – is actually of Tiny, a 7 foot singer who belted out “What a Wonderful World” in Louis Armstrong’s voice. I had to thank him. He did a great job, and Pete, my wonderful late husband, loved that song the best above all others. We played it at his memorial service. So, watching Tiny deliver the goods, was really great. By the way, he does smile…quite a bit.

Then the trio of singers, April, Curtis and April’s daughter Sophie, was who I sat with and cheered on. April is really a fabulous singer, with a strong voice for songs like those Faith Hill sings. Sophie has a sweet voice and is coming along right behind her mother, while Curtis did George Strait with ease and played with a soprano range at the table when only our group could hear. Actually, I liked the high sound a lot.

In the last hour, two of the best singers in the house, gave the audience the chills. First a tiny gal sang RESPECT with a flair that Aretha would have bowed to and then a young woman who looked too young to have lived enough to understand her rendition of Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive” sang it like someone who had really been through the pain. She hit and hit it hard.

Lastly, a shaved-bald Joseph crooned “Unchained Melody” with such range and sincerity the women in the bar nearly swooned, at least I did.

There were others, too many to recount here, who really did a great job, but the true joy of the evening was just feeling the love in the house. That’s what karaoke is all about. I fell in love with the atmosphere about ten years ago, when under the spell of eight (count them – 8) martinis I got up and sang Frankie Valli’s “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” and nobody laughed. In fact, when the song calls for a crescendo, they even clapped. And take my word for it, I can’t sing. What bliss is this?

I’ll go back again, soon. Maybe I’ll see you there. I’ll be the one with a ridiculous grin on my face, chair-dancing with gusto. Wait a minute, that’s most everyone there…

2 comments:

tiny said...

thanks again for adding me to your site. im seven feet tall tho. not 6 foot 7 inches. thanks again

bingobill@comcast.net
myspace.com/bingobill777

Kathy Lynn Hall said...

Sorry Tiny! Going from April's stats - I'll go in right now and fix that!